Chromebook Integration

Chromebook Integration

Laila Avery, Reporter

The once dark rooms are now illuminated with the shine of thousands of bright screens with one word in the middle: Chrome. For the 2018-2019 school year, Buena High School’s administration decided to incorporate Chromebooks into their education. With the introduction of the Chromebooks,  students now have first-hand access to Google Classroom and a variety of educational tools. Mrs. Tierney Parker, Technology Integration Specialist for BHS who is one of the main driving forces for the introduction and use of the laptops, said, “Now kids can work faster, and more efficiently online together. They can work with kids outside of their class, it opens up a lot of different things that they can do with technology that they couldn’t do before.”

According to Mrs. Parker, the initiative for the Chromebooks first started after inspectors came through Buena to conduct walkthroughs, and letter grades were given for different conditions. Buena would always score lowly on technology on the grounds that some classes didn’t have projectors and there weren’t enough computer labs for the current students. On behalf of those results, a substantial amount of districts decided to start one-to-one technology (where each student has their own device) when the state passed a bond initiative to put money aside for it. The administration then ventured out to look at other schools that had already integrated technology and looked at the ways that they could best set it up for high schoolers.

Another hope for these Chromebooks is to prepare students for the incoming technological involvement that they’ll be required pick up after exiting high school. Mrs. Parker said, “We are in the 21st century and everything is moving online. Kids leave and go to college and their classes are online, they have discussions online, the test that you take if you want to just go straight into the field, a lot of those tests are done online, job applications are done online, so kids need to learn how to interact with each other online, and how to take tests online, and how to write and compose things online… Students need to be able to be prepared to be functional and succeed when they leave high school.”

With Chromebooks now here, it’s up to the students of BHS to take care of them and this opportunity. They’re meant to make education more efficient, as well as to prepare us for the use of technology outside of high school. Mrs. Parker said that the Chromebooks were meant to last for the entirety of the four years in school for a single student. Let’s use this new tool well and pass it on to the next generations.