Gifted and Talented

Laila Avery, Reporter

Gifted and Talented is a unique club that meets every Friday in Room 6203. This club is unique because, not only is it inaccessible to the general public, but it is mandated by the state. Ms. Judith Stafford, the administrator over our club here at BHS, is also an art teacher. I asked her what the purpose of Gifted and Talented was, and she said, “The purpose is to offer opportunities to the kids that might be bored because they have higher thinking skills… to have a Gifted program so we can talk about how to better enhance their schedules here at Buena, and to be with like-minded students, and maybe learn from them…” Her biggest hope for the students in the Gifted and Talented program is “that the students are happy here at Buena and that they have a good, fun high school experience.”

One of the  Gifted and Talented members, sophomore Jaden McGee said, “We have gone to the Tucson Zoo and learned about animal life. We have also gone to the Art Museum in Tucson. A bunch of art and impressionist stuff, so that was pretty cool.  Being part of this program, I’ve had the opportunity to go to both of those places, and more are currently in the works…trips and plays. There are no club officers, as this is more of a program than a club, and in my experience, being part of Gifted and Talented in middle school will help a student gain access to this program at Buena.” Consult Ms. Stafford if you’re interested, to gain information about eligibility!

About the Writer