Student Views on R.T.I.

Sophomore Morgan Hammond displays the RTI student planner.

Thania Salinas, Reporter

The Response to Intervention Program has so far proved to be a success in Buena High School during the 2018-2019 school year. Not only has the administration of the school found benefits from this program, but so have students and teachers.

The ability to pick different RTI courses every week has helped students discover new interests and areas in which they are efficient. Some students have chosen to pick different areas to attend to during RTI sessions, whereas some prefer to stick to one area — whether it is a class in which they need aid from a specific teacher, or a study hall to complete classwork during the 30-minute period.

After talking to a couple of students about their true views on this program, the majority of them think this program is a beneficial addition to the way they learn during this school year. The main factor students enjoy about this program is the fact that they can complete work during the school day to avoid contradiction with their afterschool plans. Morgan Hammond, a Sophomore, believes that “RTI is definitely helpful during the school day because it allows me time to catch up on what I am behind on or work ahead so I have more time for other activities after school.” She also mentions that she finds it refreshing to be able to attend an RTI course of her choosing every week. Juniors Stephen Trevino and Nicole Sandoval, who are both members of DECA Club, believe that having RTI during school is beneficial because it could be an opportunity for Clubs to have meetings instead of holding after-school meetings — which often times can interrupt a student’s schedule. Both Stephen and Nicole think being able to choose a course of their preference is a good side of RTI. Junior Keely Denny-Wright expresses that choosing Spanish courses during RTI have given her more understanding of the subject and have expanded her skills which would not have been improved upon without the benefit of the RTI program, and she believes that “through RTI, you can expand your knowledge on any subject or field that interests you.”

About the Writer
Thania Salinas, Reporter

My name is Thania Salinas, I am a Junior, and this is my second year writing for the Pegasus. I joined newspaper because it is an opportunity to express...