World of Change- A student Authored Story

Olivia Allen, Buena Student Submission

It was two weeks before Christmas break. A mixture of freshmen through seniors clustered in different places around the bus stop, waiting for the sweet moment when they no longer have to endure the harsh cold. Only one person, however, didn’t seem to be bothered by the frigid temperatures.

“Oscar, dude! H-how are you not c-c-cold.” Faybien said through a shiver. Oscar, who was adorned with his usual thin hoodie and basketball shorts, just shrugged. Faybien pulled his hat further over his ears before shoving his hands back into his pockets. “W-wish I w-wasn’t c-cold. I’m m-m-m-iserable.” The boy next to him, Kyle, just rolled his eyes.

“Fay, it’s all in your head,” he said without looking up from his phone, which he was constantly on, “Look, Oscar’s not the only one who’s not cold.”

Faybien raised a questioning eyebrow and buried himself deeper into his jacket. “Is that why your teeth are clattering?” He said smugly. Kyle blushed and mumbled a gruff ‘shut up’ to his short companion. Oscar crossed his arms and impatiently tapped his foot to make the time pass faster. It of course did not. He didn’t have that kind of power. But sometimes, he often thought that having time bending powers would be more convenient than his ability to amalgamate himself with fire. But, at least he was never cold.

The sound of laughter caused him to turn his attention to across the street, where he saw his best friend Shaun with someone he had never seen before. A figure was trailing them, hands in his pockets and face showing usual blankness. Oscar immediately recognized it as Darren, their selectively social “group leader.” He tapped Faybien on the shoulder and pointed to the odd sight, then turned as well to Kyle. “Kyle, do you see this?” He turned to the significantly taller blonde. “Kyle?” Kyle didn’t respond, he was too far deep in the realms of Twitter now, no longer eavesdropping, and no longer with his ears on. “Kyle!” Oscar shouted through clenched teeth before whacking him upside the head. “Ow!” Kyle whined, both hurt and annoyed, and finally, with his attention away from his awareness prison. He rubbed his head with his half gloved hand and turned to retaliate until he saw the reason as to why his friend struck him. The sight before him caused curiosity to fill him, with jealousy bubbling at the surface. Oscar, Faybien, and Kyle’s friends Max and Ashtyn showed up, just as confused as the other three.

“You guys are seeing what I’m seeing right? I don’t need to get my glasses fixed?” Max said ambiguously. The others nodded slowly. None of them were able to comprehend what was going on. They knew Shaun and Darren on levels no one else did. It was not unusual for Shaun to make new friends; he was a very trusting person, and had a unique personality that caused most people to automatically be his friend. He had a hard time keeping said people though.  Darren on the other hand, was the opposite of Shaun. He trusted very few, and that number became finite after a certain mishap that took place last year.

Usually in the presence of a new person, and definitely when he was able to, Darren would silently slink off through the shadows to avoid any sort of confrontation. But what the group was seeing was something they never even considered happening before. They watched with open jaws and wide eyes as Darren said something to the girl that made her shake her head and say something back. Shaun was smiling like a giddy school girl.

As they crossed the street, the rest of the group snapped out of their stupors and pretended they weren’t staring. They tried to act normal–well, as normal as they could possibly muster. Shaun ran ahead of the other two and hugged Kyle, who pushed him away and mumbled something that sounded like “ew, cooties.” He then greeted the rest of them, bouncing on his toes the whole time.

Darren and the new girl reached them soon after, Darren’s face still blank, and the girl’s pink, with a nervous blush. Oscar was the first to ask the question everyone else was thinking. “Who the heck are you?” Oscar bit the inside of his cheek and scolded himself. ‘Okay, that was a little bit more forceful than I intended, but got the question across, I guess? ’ The girl stuttered over herself for a second, as if surprised someone had addressed her presence, and before she could find the courage to say her name, Shaun came to the rescue, as if the question was meant for him. “This is Jacelynn!” He exclaimed enthusiastically.“But most people just call me Jace…” Jace muttered quietly as she fiddled with the book in her hand, flipping through pages repeatedly, turning it over and over again in her hands. ‘Must be a nervous tick’ Oscar thought.

Max approached the girl and stuck out his hand. “I’m Maximus, informally known as Max.” He gestured behind him to a girl who held a guitar case in one hand and was waving with the other. “That’s my sister Ashtyn. We’re twins but,” he leaned in close and whispered,” between you and me, I’m the more attractive one.” And with that he backed up a few steps, winked and slung his arm over his sisters shoulder, who in turn pushed him away by his face.

Kyle was next up. “Hullo. Names Kyle.” He held out his hand, which Jace timidly accepted. Instead of shaking it, he squeezed. Jace’s eyes widened slightly, not expecting him to crush her hand but instead of showing pain, she squeezed back. It was Kyle’s turn to be surprised. ‘Ow?’ He thought to himself. He was definitely not expecting that someone of her small stature would be able to exert that much strength. He smirked at her and let go. ‘Don’t judge a mage by it’s robes I guess.’ Jace smiled shyly and looked at her feet.

“I’m Faybien,” The boy with the 12 layers of clothes on muttered, his anxiety as bad as Jace’s. “I like your shirt. I’m wearing one like that… I would show you, but that would require me to unzip my jackets and I finally have some warmth back in my body, so I can show you later.” He smiled apprehensively, and Jace found it to be cute, and nodded slightly. She was wearing one of the many Dragonball shirts she owned.

Oscar crossed his arms and looked over Jace for a moment. “You a freshman?” He questioned. Jace shook her head. “No, I’m a junior this year.” Oscar nodded in acknowledgement, surprised. “Cool. Oscar’s the name, I too am a junior. Same with Max and Ash. Fay is a sophomore, Darren and Kyle are seniors.”

“What about me?” Shaun asked, confused as to why he wasn’t included. Oscar flicked him on the nose. “You’re special.” Shaun smiled, taking it as a compliment. It wasn’t until Kyle looked at him with a ‘really?’ expression before he understood what his best friend meant. “HEY!” He exclaimed. Everyone laughed, excluding Darren, who just rolled his eyes so far back into his head he saw stars. “Nimrod.” He whispered. The familiar sound of the bus filled their ears. Jace’s heart dropped and her anxiety took the wheel. Faybien grabbed his backpack and what Jace had to assume was a tuba case before quickly ascending the bus stairs.

The rest of the group got on the bus one by one. Shaun stayed at the back with Jace to keep her company, using his oddity to comfort her. She immediately felt her nerves become washed away with his presence. ‘Ruhe.’ Jace thought to herself as she got on the bus. ‘The german word for peace.’

To be continued…