Buena Graduates Look back

Buena Graduates Look back

2018 Buena graduate, Adriana Avery prepares for her graduation night by trying on her cap and gown.

Laila Avery, Reporter

High school is the last buffer between teen and adult life. Teachers have been tasked to prepare students for further education, life outside of the school system, and life in the workforce. It’s important to devote time to and prioritize the current students in schools, but just like it’s emphasized in history class time and time again, it is of the utmost importance to learn from the past. I interviewed two 2018 Buena graduates, Adriana Avery and Emily Dow, about their lives after high school.

“If you want your dreams to come true, you have to start from ground zero and make it yourself. You can’t wait for someone to discover you. You have to prove that you’re serious about your dreams. Nobody is going to just pick you up and realize your talents right away. You have to build,” says Adriana, explaining the most difficult thing for her since graduating. Emily said that finding a job within walking distance was one of the most difficult things for her, though Indeed.com helped.

Upon asking Adriana what quality Buena gave her that stuck with her the most, she answered, “I acquired communication skills from being the president of the National Honor Society. It has served me well in gaining job opportunities.”

Their biggest regrets were among the idea of not getting to know people, having fun, or doing the things that they wanted to do. “On graduation night, I hardly knew anyone except my close-knit circle. I had no idea how large our class was, and there was some benefit in only having a close-knit circle, but you can’t help but imagine what it would be like if I took the time to spend time with more people,” Adriana explains.

However, among the regrets, there were some impactful moments that were drawn from their time at Buena. “There was some kind of testing going on for the freshman and sophomores, so juniors and seniors had to go to the auditorium for something, and I was having an anxiety attack. Ms. Stafford made sure to keep an eye on me,” Emily recalls. Though understaffed, Buena High School has provided students with a healthy supply of teachers that care about their students personally.

Both Adriana and Emily have plans for after school. Emily says, after graduating, her plans are to “recover, then go to [her] dream college in California.” Adriana’s plans line up with that idea as well. “My plans are pretty much the same. I’ll plan on attending NAU in January! I am excited for what’s to come. After NAU, I plan on going to med school, whether it be through the military or some other route.”

Additionally, I asked the both of them how Buena is helping them achieve their goals. “My experiences at Buena taught me to come out of my shell, to communicate with others, and be able to have team work. It helped me to realize the benefits of having a team and building friendships,” says Adriana. Emily continued to speak about how much of an emotional help Ms. Stafford was to her.

On an ending note, I asked the two what their biggest hopes for Buena were after leaving. Emily said, “I’m hoping Buena will be safe enough for people to learn and to not get killed by someone,” and Adriana replied, “My biggest hope for Buena is that more programs are implemented to help reduce college costs, such as Running Start. I hope the building gets a makeover and the toilets are replaced as well (which is much needed). I also hope that the school spirit that exists at Buena continues to grow stronger every year.”

Lastly, I asked Adriana what specific moment during her time at Buena was the most memorable. “One of the most memorable moments at Buena was when I was notifying the new inductees of the National Honor Society. Some were in disbelief and some expected it. The excitement and enthusiasm they brought to the club really helped enrich our society.”

All in all, nobody said life after high school was going to be an easy ride. However, from the look of it, as long as you make the most of it and listen to wise counsel, you can leave happy and be prepared for what life throws your way. We wish the best of success to these graduates and the brightest of futures to the young minds being fostered within the same walls that these new adults once sat.