National Honor Society Fall Induction Ceremony

Members+of+NHS+state+the+sacred+pledge.+
Members of NHS state the sacred pledge.

Members of NHS state the sacred pledge.

Nora O'Donnell

Nora O'Donnell

Members of NHS state the sacred pledge.

Laila Avery, Reporter

“To me, having the opportunity to be in National Honor Society means that my hard work from the past two years of high school have paid off, and it just means that I have to continue to work hard and push myself to continue to perform well in school,” new official inductee Patricia Garcia says.

On the night of October 23,  families, friends, and staff made their way into the Klien Center at Buena High School for the NHS Fall Induction Ceremony. With only the light from candles and stage lights, the dim atmosphere offered a sense of peace and dignity to all who entered. New inductees sat on the far left of the auditorium and the current members took their places on the stage. “I loved the lighting of the candles. It was really beautiful and I felt like it brought all of us together in NHS,” new sophomore probationary inductee Anastasia Obal recalls. Following the welcome and introductory speeches, as well as an explanation of the four pillars, the inductees lined up on the stage and were dressed in gowns and academic stoles. They were given candles and recited the pledge: “I pledge myself to uphold the high purposes of the National Honor Society to which I have been selected…” The night ended with refreshments and conversation between the new and current inductees, as well as pictures with family to commemorate the event.

To get a bit of backstory, some inductees were asked why they wanted to join NHS. Sophomore probationary inductee Tobias Temple said, “I wanted to join NHS to differentiate myself from the crowd and stand out, showing colleges that I can, not only keep good grades in advanced classes while also playing sports, but in addition, I can excel in extracurricular activities, such as clubs.”

I wanted to be part of something that sets me apart from other students in a good way.”

— Mayah Taylor on why she joined NHS

“I joined NHS because, in all honesty, I wanted to be part of something that sets me apart from other students in a good way. It’s special to me because it’s different from the other clubs I’m in, since it has an application process,” Junior Inductions and Social Media Chair Mayah Taylor said.

Lastly, when asked what their biggest hopes for themselves while in NHS were, sophomore probationary inductee Olivia Jackson said, “…[to] become more honorable.” Answers among others were to “become a better leader and give back more to [the] community”, “make genuine connections with peers”, “[to prepare] for higher education”, and “[to learn] more about what the club represents.” These new inductees, whether probationary or official, are definitely on their way there. With the blowing out of the candles on the Buena stage, a new flame meant to start a wildfire takes light inside all of these. 

About the Writer
Laila Avery, Reporter

My name is Laila Avery and I’m a sophomore! I enjoy writing for the Pegasus because it gives me the opportunity to learn more about what happens at Buena!...

1 Comment

One Response to “National Honor Society Fall Induction Ceremony”

1. Terri Romo on November 1st, 2018 10:21 am

I’d like to thank the advisors who organized such a nice induction ceremony! Congratulation to the students for all of their hard work.

• National Honor Society Fall Induction Ceremony

Community

Costume Parade- Halloween 2018

Community

What Music Means to Buena’s Students

Community

Who Will You Vote For?

Community

Foreign Exchange Club

Community

Teamwork Makes the Dream Work

Community

Día de los Muertos

Community

A Village Meadows Halloween

Announcements

YEARBOOKS YEARBOOKS YEARBOOKS

Announcements

Fundraisers

Community

October Horoscopes