Buena Choir is going to State

Buena Choir is going to State

Videomaker

Videomaker

Videomaker

Laila Avery, Reporter

You’re at the very back of the bus, talking to your friends. You’re worried about how you did because the second soprano had trouble with the pitch on the sight reading, and then Mrs. Brown says that she has an announcement. She’s at the front of the bus, standing up, with a big smile on her face, so you know it’s good news. She says that she had gotten the scores back from the judges, and that she was really proud of you because you had been working on it for a really long time. That was sophomore Emma Wolfe at midday on Tuesday, October 30th. The news Buena’s choir received was spectacular: a superior rating on their performance and a three on their sight reading, qualifying them for state. “It felt glorious,” says sophomore Mckayla Pacheco, “all that hard work and effort earned us a victory.” In order for a group to qualify for the state competition, they must be able to grasp an open vowel sound, strong diction, a lively tone, distant projection, stage presence, and harmony. They are also evaluated on posture, correct pitches, solfège, teamwork, and timing. Though struggling a bit with a few of those topics, Buena’s Dynamix came out on top and qualified for the 2018-19 state competition that will be scheduled at a later date. 

They’re excited for what’s to come, but don’t hesitate to look back at exactly how sweet the memories have been. “One thing I really hope [Buena’s choirs] keep through the years [are] the people behind the scenes. Mrs. Golding and Mrs. Brown really do give their all to their students. Buena Harmony is honestly such a commuter group of parents, what would we be without them? Our committed officers do a lot for our choir, they give it so much love, and of course, each singer who goes to events, does fundraisers, practices without fail, does solos, and helps Mrs. Brown. They have made choir the amazing program that it is,” Mckayla says. Adding to that, Emma says, “I hope that they keep the different choirs going, allowing students to decide which choir they want to be in.” Along with those hopes come more hopes, like more written information and more unity among the members, but Buena’s choir’s pros always supersede the cons, making a big win at the end of the day. Congratulations, and may the future be ever as bright and lively as the songs that you sing.

About the Writer
Laila Avery, Reporter

My name is Laila Avery and I’m a sophomore! I enjoy writing for the Pegasus because it gives me the opportunity to share my opinion and encourage other...