Can Money Buy You Happiness?

Money

Can Money Buy You Happiness?

Money

Money

Money

Money

Donn'Jai Arenovski, Reporter

The majority of us are familiar with the award winning question; can money buy you happiness? Well, can it?  This question, particularly, sparks my interest, as there are numerous definitions of happiness and where it comes from.  Each answer depends on the person, and how they view true bliss. Some argue, happiness comes from within, or from another person. Others say happiness comes from doing what you love or the materialistic things in life.
Therefore, I was instantly urged to go around my high school to ask a few of my Buena peers if they agreed or not! Even though, I was expecting simple responses, on the contrary, I received many thoughtful and unique answers. For instance, Marina Carpenter, a sophomore at Buena High, doesn’t believe that money can buy true happiness. “Happiness isn’t something you can waste your money on; it’s a feeling, an emotion.” She pointed out, “True, utter happiness deals with the people you surround yourself with.” In addition, another student agrees with Carpenter, Elias Salinas.  He is currently a senior at Buena High, and argues that money simply cannot buy you happiness. “You can have everything in the world and still be sad,” Salinas went on to explain, the wealthiest people are usually the loneliest. As a matter of fact, a reporter with Forbes Magazine, Alice G. Walton, backs this very statement in an article titled, “Why the Super-Successful Get Depressed” stating, why individuals with the most money are inclined to feel unhappy. “-perhaps because it’s so pressurized, so lonely, or so empty, it triggers depression in those you’d least expect it.” Although, in spite of this, others believe money is a necessity in order to be generally happy. In order to receive the basic necessities in life, you need and depend on money without being aware of it. Tamara Madrid, Buena Junior explained this concept as she believes money can and does make you happy every day. You need money to receive the simple things in life. For example, food, water and a warm roof over your head, “Without those you’d be poor and starving” stated Tamara.
In reality there, is no correct answer to this question, as there are too many different definitions of what happiness really is. In my opinion, money can buy you happiness. Only if you use it in the right way! With that being said, what do you think? Can money genuinely buy you happiness?