The Art of the Snitch

The Art of the Snitch

Canyon News

Canyon News

Canyon News

Laila Avery, Reporter

Today’s world grows more and more dangerous by the second. Human beings plot evil against others in order to express vengeance or inner demons, and it ends up costing lives and destroying families. In today’s world, a large sum of these evil plots are carried out in our schools. We’ve seen this in school shootings and bombings, as well as drug busts and overdoses. “Since 2013, there have been over 305 incidents in which a gun was discharged on a school campus in America… according to Everytown,” says The Sun, “This averages out to around one shooting a week.” In the incidents that occurred in 2018 alone, The74Million states that there have been 41 deaths and 74 injuries.

“Since 2013, there have been over 305 incidents in which a gun was discharged on a school campus in America… according to Everytown,””

— The Sun

The simple fact is that people know and they aren’t speaking, or they aren’t willing to find out. The common phrase, “snitches get stitches”, definitely stands in place, but the proverb, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” surpasses that idea in many ways. Telling an authority figure about something that you know could save lives and prevent heartache among families. “People need to be reported when naughty things are happening because it will enable us to stop the situation sooner, with whatever’s going on,” says Mrs. Tara Floss, a Buena High School 10th grade World History and Geography teacher that has urged students to speak out on multiple occasions. When asked if there could possibly be any backlash on a student that reported something, she answered, “On no, absolutely not, especially now that there is the anonymous tip line that is located on the website… I think if a student wanted to give information, but asked the teacher/staff member to keep the student’s name anonymous, that can be done as well.”

There’s nothing to lose and everything to gain if you speak out. If confronted, be smart, be tough, and know that you served a greater purpose for the people around you.

About the Writer
Laila Avery, Reporter

My name is Laila Avery and I’m a sophomore! I enjoy writing for the Pegasus because it gives me the opportunity to share my opinion and encourage other...