The Art of the Snitch

The Art of the Snitch

Canyon News

Canyon News

Canyon News

Laila Avery, Reporter

Today’s world grows more and more dangerous by the second. Human beings plot evil against others in order to express vengeance or inner demons, and it ends up costing lives and destroying families. In today’s world, a large sum of these evil plots are carried out in our schools. We’ve seen this in school shootings and bombings, as well as drug busts and overdoses. “Since 2013, there have been over 305 incidents in which a gun was discharged on a school campus in America… according to Everytown,” says The Sun, “This averages out to around one shooting a week.” In the incidents that occurred in 2018 alone, The74Million states that there have been 41 deaths and 74 injuries.

“Since 2013, there have been over 305 incidents in which a gun was discharged on a school campus in America… according to Everytown,””

— The Sun

The simple fact is that people know and they aren’t speaking, or they aren’t willing to find out. The common phrase, “snitches get stitches”, definitely stands in place, but the proverb, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” surpasses that idea in many ways. Telling an authority figure about something that you know could save lives and prevent heartache among families. “People need to be reported when naughty things are happening because it will enable us to stop the situation sooner, with whatever’s going on,” says Mrs. Tara Floss, a Buena High School 10th grade World History and Geography teacher that has urged students to speak out on multiple occasions. When asked if there could possibly be any backlash on a student that reported something, she answered, “On no, absolutely not, especially now that there is the anonymous tip line that is located on the website… I think if a student wanted to give information, but asked the teacher/staff member to keep the student’s name anonymous, that can be done as well.”

There’s nothing to lose and everything to gain if you speak out. If confronted, be smart, be tough, and know that you served a greater purpose for the people around you.

About the Writer
Laila Avery, Reporter

My name is Laila Avery and I’m a sophomore! I enjoy writing for the Pegasus because it gives me the opportunity to share my opinion and encourage other...

1 Comment

One Response to “The Art of the Snitch”

1. Daniel Chieppa on February 26th, 2019 1:18 pm

First off this was a great article but I think you’re coming at it from the wrong angle. It’s about snitching yes but what if the person doesn’t tell anyone that’s what usually happens. The thing we should talk about is guns and why we need more of them in our schools. We need to allow teachers if they want to carry a gun and also give security guards guns. Violent crime has been going down. School shootings which seemed to slow down now are terrible but the best place to shoot up is a place where no one has a gun that’s why people go to. That’s why people go to churches but now people carry guns on them and one man shot the shooter of the church.

• The Art of the Snitch

Features

Teacher’s Spotlight: Mr. Eric Suchdolski

• The Art of the Snitch

Community

My Experience with Hebeos: A Prom Scamming Nightmare

• The Art of the Snitch

Community

Buena Seniors Attend College Orientation

• The Art of the Snitch

Features

Is School Too Stressful?

• The Art of the Snitch

Announcements

Prom 2019

• The Art of the Snitch

Features

What Makes “On My Block” Stand Out?

• The Art of the Snitch

Features

Digital Euphoria: The Rise of ASMR

• The Art of the Snitch

Features

Fine Arts Students Anticipate Hairspray

• The Art of the Snitch

Announcements

Running Start Gives Students The Opportunity to Excel

• The Art of the Snitch

Features

The Real Price of College Credit

The Art of the Snitch