What Makes Thanksgiving So Special?

What Makes Thanksgiving So Special?

Thania Salinas, Reporter

You’re in the middle of class, trying your hardest to stay awake and pay attention to the words coming out of your teacher’s mouth. All you can think about, however, is the sweet taste of turkey on Thanksgiving day. As Thanksgiving approaches, students have increasingly become more eager to finally have a respite from the unpleasant and draining tasks school brings. It is no secret that Thanksgiving is one of the most awaited holidays of the year. From getting to eat your favorite foods and spend time with those you treasure the most, to being able to sleep in during the break, Thanksgiving is a holiday that brings immense harmony and bliss into the hearts of many.

Thanksgiving is not all about turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. It is a holiday that grants everyone a chance to get together with their families and fill their hearts with the utmost joy. Although this is a holiday that holds deep meaning to many, everybody has different factors about Thanksgiving they treasure the most. “Being able to spend valuable time with my family is always important to me, and this holiday gives me the chance to do just that,” Junior Bernie Polaha expresses. It is undeniable that quality family time is the dearest to the majority of students here at Buena. Junior Brianna Valenzuela explains that since her birthday is just a day before Thanksgiving this year, she is more than excited to celebrate with her family. She happily adds, “I’m celebrating my birthday and Thanksgiving on the same day, so in some way the holiday has been more awaited for me this year. I truly cannot wait to celebrate with my family and have a good time.”

There is simply no denying that the food has to be one of the greatest things Thanksgiving has to offer. The anticipation of cooking with your family and the satisfaction of enjoying various delicious dishes is unexplainable, and quite frankly, unique. For some people, the food is the number one thing they look forward to the most. “Although I also enjoy spending time with my family, I simply can’t wait to eat turkey, mashed potatoes, rolls, green bean casserole, and stuffing,” explains Junior Veronica Medina. Not only is the food extremely delicious, there is large variety of the food you could eat. “I’m mostly looking forward to Thanksgiving to eat my favorite dish, ham,” adds Junior Jovoni Borbon. Since Thanksgiving is majorly celebrated in America, foreign exchange student and Senior Bianca Tummino comments that she is truly looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving for the first time with her host family. She elaborates by adding, “My family doesn’t celebrate this holiday back in Italy, so I’m looking forward to trying all kinds of food for Thanksgiving.” The famous Thanksgiving meal is so treasured by many, that even the Buena High School cafeteria has chosen to offer students a special holiday meal!

Frankly, it would simply take way too long to list the variety of reasons Thanksgiving is one of the most treasured holidays of the year. As it knocks on your door, you may ask yourself, what makes you appreciate this meaningful holiday that most?

About the Writer
Thania Salinas, Reporter

My name is Thania Salinas, I am a Junior, and this is my second year writing for the Pegasus. I joined newspaper because it is an opportunity to express...