Expedience for Less Expense

Expedience for Less Expense

Pixabay

Pixabay

Pixabay

Laila Avery, Reporter

Being a sophomore is tough. You just finished one of the most refreshing, yet shocking years of your life as a freshman, where it’s completely okay to stumble around a bit because you’re new to so much. Sophomore year approaches and you know your way around the school, so you’re expected to take part in much more. This is where the problem comes in.

As a middle school student, the workload was much lighter and expectations were hardly as high. It’s simple to participate in all of the extracurricular activities that you want and still have time to get your work done and meet your graduation requirements. In high school, however, it’s arguable that the story takes on a whole new arc. Clubs and extracurricular activities you wanted to join run at the same time, other conflicts of interest concerning your personal life occur, and it gets difficult to balance with your regular classes.

Here’s a fresh word to possibly add to your vocabulary: expedient, or, in better terms, practical. On this earth, time is the most precious thing that we have, because once spent, we can never get it back. Though, unlike money, you don’t get to decide if it’s spent or not. It flies out of your wallet without you even touching it. Because of what we know now, there’s a decision that has to be made. This decision is simply: how will we spend this time?

On this earth, time is the most precious thing that we have, because once spent, we can never get it back. ”

The most common answer to this, of course, will be to do everything that we possibly can in the short, short life expectancy of 78.7 years, which is dropping by the year, according to Fortune. However, is this a practical approach? Taking part in absolutely everything was undoubtedly simple in our former days, and a source of that olden glory we think about so much. Now, as we prepare for adult life, the time we spend is all about refining ourselves and focusing on the future. Indubitably, taking part in extracurricular activities improve social and group skills that are necessary for the future, but these things also have an expense, and a fleeting one at that: your time. If these activities outside of your core academics aren’t providing you with the skills to pay the bills, then time spent on other things serves as a detriment to your future, as well as your mentality while going through school due to struggling to keep all of your responsibilities together.

Spend your time wisely; don’t waste it. Decide what the rest of your life looks like and give it everything you’ve got to get there. Nobody will hand it to you, but you’ve definitely still got time to grab it.