Opinion: School Hours

Opinion: School Hours

Pixabay

Pixabay

Pixabay

Laila Avery, Reporter

You can hear the light twitter of birds outside your window and the sun freshly gleams through the slips in your blinds, cascading a warm presence onto your face. You sit up in your bed and check the clock. It’s 7:45 a.m.; you might have to rush a little bit. You go through your morning checklist a little faster than usual, but still at a comfortable pace. Before you know it, you’re outside and down the street waiting for your bus. It comes right on time: 8:23 a.m. You board the metal steps with confidence. Today’s going to be a good day. A bearable day, at least.

Let’s rewind, and review another path that Buena High School chooses to take: You can’t hear a thing. It’s late fall; the sun hasn’t risen yet, and standard adults working jobs for an income haven’t even fathomed getting up at such a timesurely not operating. According to RedBus2Us, the average American starts checking emails at 7:42 a.m., and working at 8 a.m. By this time, Buena High School’s first class is already deep in session.

You look over at the clock. It’s 5:45 a.m.; you might have to rush a little bit, or that is, until you realize that your bus could arrive at any time and leave before you even knew it came. You decide to rush more than most likely needed and exit the house. It’s still twilight. There’s a deep blue tint to the sky and you only have the light of the lampposts to be somewhat aware of your surroundings. That’s not very safe, but Buena doesn’t really care.

The workload that Buena offers severely differs, along with all of the variables that go along with an average student’s personal life, but one thing’s for certain: such hours shouldn’t be considered humane. According to Psychology Today, the typical United States high school starts at 8:03 a.m., and 80% of high schools start at least before 8:30 a.m. They continue by stating that research shows that when school starts later, teens get more sleep, which, to absolutely no surprise, is a key part of our adolescent lives. As a result of operating at these ungodly hours, students and staff are inherently susceptible to depression, obstructive sleep apnea, hormonal imbalances, and other chronic illnesses, according to Medical News Today. All of those things are seen on a daily basis in the average teen population and are posing a problem to the general productivity and mental health of Buena’s youth.

According to Psychology Today, the typical United States high school starts at 8:03 a.m., and 80% of high schools start at least before 8:30 a.m.”

This change is one of the most important ones that Buena High School can make, and it would help improve absolutely everything, if even by the slightest degree. Let’s wake up to the gentle calls of twittering birds and a fresh, gleaming sun.