Buena Introduces Recovery Program

Buena Introduces Recovery Program

Pictured: Mrs. Damon, a beloved teacher in the Math department at Buena High School.

Thania Salinas, Reporter

Everyone is aware that there are serious consequences whenever a student fails an academic course in high school. However, Buena High School has decided to introduce a new recovery system available to any student that fails a math or English course. In the past, if a student failed a semester, the student would not be able to advance to the following and be forced to retake failed semester during Summer School and unfortunately, get behind on their credits. However, with the new system introduced by Mrs. Hale and Buena High School’s administration, a student that fails Semester A of a course will be forced to give up one of their electives and retake the failed semester while also taking Semester B.

The BHS counselors, as well as the Math and English departments have decided that this recovery system would benefit a student because without it, they would be likely to fail yet another semester if they did not learn the content necessary to advance. Mrs. Damon, a geometry teacher at Buena, explains that this recovery system is beneficial in a variety of ways. She elaborates by adding, “This recovery program will prevent students from slacking in their credits, and they will be able to learn the content in a way that is more helpful to them.” She recognizes that while there is also downfalls to this program, the benefits are dominant. She explains, “Although losing an elective is unfortunate, they will have the opportunity to learn in a brand new way. At the end of the day, this is good for the students that have a hard time at school, and our goal is to offer them all the help necessary to be successful.”

There is definitely someone at Buena High School that will be able to greatly benefit from this recovery program and make the best out of it. Although some sacrifices may be made, this system will prove to be in the students’ best interest.

About the Writer
Thania Salinas, Reporter

My name is Thania Salinas, I am a Junior, and this is my second year writing for the Pegasus. I joined newspaper because it is an opportunity to express...