Would You Feel Safer with Armed Guards Patrolling Your School?

Donn'Jai Arenovski, Reporter

No matter what, the importance of protecting our schools will always be a huge concern amongst all of us, especially when it comes to guns. Students, teachers and even parents are beginning to stand together in an effort to control these tragic situations by looking into ways to keep our schools safe. Some say putting guns in our schools will help students feel more secure, although others think completely different. So what happens if Buena were to give our security guards weapons? Would that make our students feel safer?

There are several ways to view the idea of gun safety within our schools. When it comes to guns, there are no second chances, and that is an important concept to understand when it comes to throwing weapons into the mix. While, interviewing a Buena sophomore, Rachel Alexander, she expressed her point of view of this ongoing debate. “I think I would feel safe because we have guards with guns to protect us,” She continued, “It’s not the guns that scare me, it’s the people who use them.” I can personally agree that it’s not the guns that kill people, it’s the people who kill people, although being armed doesn’t necessarily mean having a gun. After asking A Buena junior, Daniel Garcia, he helped me realize this point after putting an emphasis on weapons that don’t kill. “I would have to disagree with security guards having guns,” he continued on, “I would have to say non-lethal weapons, like Tasers or something, I’d rather those than guns.” To expand on Garcia’s statement, I think parents can agree non lethal weapons would be a better option, as kids will always be kids and accidents are prone to happen. Even though arming our security guards with weapons, even non-lethal weapons would only be for the strict purpose of protecting the students and staff of our high school, some students completely disagree with allowing guns into our schools. For example, Genesis Sandoval, a Buena senior definitely doesn’t agree with this idea. “No, I would not feel safer, because I don’t think putting more guns into school, would make a safer school,” she added, “That just kind of sounds like an oxymoron. I don’t think guns equal safety, inside or outside of school.” Like Genesis, a great amount of people agree with this statement. Many argue, why put guns into an area where students are supposed to safest or why add them, when several things can go wrong?

This will always be a tricky topic to discuss, as anyone can view this argument differently. Some say adding guns would not make them feel safer, and that it’d only make matters worse. While others agree, only after they’re used correctly at school, assuring the safety of everyone around them. In conclusion, there is only one question left, would you or would you not feel safer knowing your school security guards possessed guns?