A Brief Inquiry into The 1975’s ‘Love It If We Made It’

Genesis Sandoval, Editor

The 1975’s newest album, “A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships,” might just be 2018’s best album. The album was finally released in late November, and the hype for it hasn’t ended. The album features single “Love It If We Made It,” a song filled with protests against today’s world, but hope for the future as well. The song uses out of context references to real life events in order to emphasize the chaos that has ensued around the world recently. Matty Healy, the lead singer of The 1975, has described the song as, “Not opinionated. It’s stuff that’s happened. It’s what I was worried about.” Because of the lack of context, and the importance of understanding the world around us, here’s an explanation of some memorable references made in this influential song:

Modernity has failed us.”

— The 1975

“Selling melanin and then suffocating the black men.”

The song almost immediately acknowledges an unfortunate, disheartening event: The death of Eric Garner. Garner died in 2014 after an NYPD officer put him into a chokehold during an arrest. The incident was filmed and was used to raise awareness for police brutality.

“A beach of drowning three-year-olds.”

Alan Kurdi was a three-year-old Syrian refugee who was trying to reach Europe, and eventually Canada, with his family. In September 2015, Kurdi’s body was found drowned on the beach by the Mediterranean Sea. A Turkish journalist took a photo of his body, and it spread globally. The photo created an upturn in concern for refugees, and donations to charities involved with refugees and immigrants increased drastically after the photo’s release.

“Rest in peace Lil Peep.”

Gustav Elijah Åhr, or Lil Peep, was a rapper who helped pioneer a post-emo revival in his music. He was well loved, but unfortunately he accidentally overdosed late last year at age 21. His death was a loss to many, including Healy himself. During an interview with Fader, Healy described Peep’s death as, “It was so sad. It made me realize how precarious…of a game you play.”

“The poetry is in the streets.”

Die-hard fans of The 1975 may know why this lyric is so significant: it’s been featured in numerous songs by the band. It first appeared in their music video for “Chocolate” in 2013, and has since essentially become a motto for The 1975’s career.

“Immigration liberal kitsch / kneeling on a pitch.”

Political discourse has been rampant around the world in the past couple of years, and the band references how some ridicule those who are pro-immigration through their phrase, “liberal kitsch.” The 1975 also reference those who participated in the kneeling protests in the NFL, like Colin Kaepernick who popularized the protest after kneeling during the national anthem in 2016 to challenge police brutality and racial injustice.

“‘Thank you Kanye, very cool!’”

This quotable reference was actually said, or moreso tweeted, by President Donald Trump. Earlier this year, Kanye West created an unexpected and odd tweet of support involving the phrase “dragon energy” for Trump. And his response? “Thank you Kanye, very cool!”

“I’d love it if we made it.”

Despite the bleak lyrics and events acknowledged in the song, it still features an upbeat tone throughout it, and a “genuine positivity” for the future. It may feel like the world is ending sometimes, but The 1975 will love it if we can make it through tough times. Healy puts it best, explaining “Love It If We Made It” as, “The gem of hope amongst all of the rubble.”

About the Writer
Genesis Sandoval, Editor

Hi, my name is Genesis. This is my third year for writing for The Pegasus. I’m a senior, and can’t wait to graduate. I listen to music often, and sleep...