Ultimate is the Perfect Game for Everyone

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on the Nintendo Switch gamepad.

Genesis Sandoval, Reporter

The Super Smash Bros. franchise has become a staple of Nintendo’s culture ever since its 1999 release for the Nintendo 64. It has spawned four new installments of the game since then, including the Nintendo Switch’s fastest selling game of all time: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The game was announced back in early March, taking fans by surprise, and the hype for it hasn’t ended since. The game was finally released in December, and the nine-month wait was more than worth it.

One of the biggest announcements before the game’s release was that it would feature every single playable character from the previous SSB games and some new additions. The game initially only lets you play as the original eight characters from Super Smash Bros.: Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, and Pikachu. While it is time-consuming to unlock all 74 characters, the satisfaction you feel after earning a full roster is immeasurable. Anthony John Agnello from Escapist Magazine describes his character earning process as, “Rather than feel irritated or cheated by its patience, I instead found Ultimate a luxurious experience, every bit as meditative in practice as its fights were bombastic.”

Speaking of characters, one of the biggest appeals of the Super Smash Bros. franchise is the fact it’s a crossover fighting game, featuring characters from modern games to classics, or even Nintendo games to third-party developers. You can play as classic Mario, or try a new addition like Richter Belmont from the Castlevania series. There’s a character for every type of person. Game Theory, a YouTube channel dedicated to its namesake, recently created a video on just that. “There’s truly one character for every sort of player, every personality type, every personal preference, and every playstyle regardless if you’re a newcomer or a die-hard veteran of the series,” says MatPat, the host of Game Theory. No matter what kind of video games you like, you can find the perfect character for you from the large range of available characters.

Another big appeal is how the game is for everyone. It’s the perfect game for competing or just the perfect party game. Kids can still play it and enjoy themselves, while adults can do the same. Ultimate can be as complicated or as simple as you want it to be. You can continue to grow as a player through various game modes, difficulties, etc. The game is played professionally in global competitions, but it’s also a game you simply play at home with your friends. Anyone can play Ultimate and have fun with it.

One of the few complaints about the game, though, is its online mode. KnowTechie explains, “Players (and reviewers) have been mentioning stutters in gameplay, missed moves, moves that look like connecting but not affecting the other player, or completely inexcusable several second stops in the action.” These issues have become a popular issue around the world, and it puts off many from using the online mode feature. Besides connectivity problems, many have also criticized the difficulty to play an online mode with your friends. It is possible to create an online match with your friends globally, but it’s not as simple as just inviting them to a game. You have to give your friends a code they must input into the game themselves, and then you must deal with the common online gaming problems. There’s also no easy-to-access voice chat, but that issue is due to Nintendo’s own online service.

Despite the occasional problem, SSBU still maintains “universal acclaim” from Metacritic. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the perfect game for everyone in your life, and hours of satisfying fun from the regular Smash battles, to its new adventure mode.

But maybe only if you’re playing locally.