BHS Is Not Prepared

BHS Is Not Prepared

Pixabay

Pixabay

Pixabay

Laila Avery, Reporter

It could never happen to me, except it does happen, and it could. Buena High School is not prepared.”

Earlier this year, Buena High School experienced a number of bomb threats, as did many schools across America. Workplaces and public locations fell victim to terrorist attacks, and many individuals are being targeted for things that they simply cannot change. Students throw racial slurs around and joke about death, while at the same time, they’re dying. Drug overdoses and suicides are common in today’s world; so common that they can happen right under our noses and we turn a blind eye. We stick our noses up in the air at the lesson that it teaches, the message that it screams, the countless lives that it’s taken. We instead turn our eyes to the brilliance and aroma that is one statement.

It could never happen to me.

It could never happen to me, says the child that sniffs an inhalant for the first time and inhales his last.

It could never happen to me, says the teenagers sliding into the car after drinking a little bit of alcohol.

It could never happen to me, says the parent on the couch watching school shooters stroll into a facility and ingraining death into young children’s minds.

It could never happen to me, except it does happen, and it could. Buena High School is not prepared.

In the event of a lock down, ‘get anything you can get in your hand’, they say, not realizing how senseless it is to bring a knife to a gunfight, much less scissors. A bomb threat is made and the masses are collected into one area, scrambling around to find their second hour teacher, no, wait, their third. Riflemen stand on the roof. When did they get here? Quick, but quick enough? That’s debatable. In a moment more fleeting than the blink of an eye, the timetable of the earth could be offset, and futures of greatness erased. What a loss that is, to have had the opportunity to prepare, and to have neglected it, only to have a lengthy conversation with mortality himself.

This goes to show the old adage: “To fail to prepare is to prepare to fail.” Buena High School is not preparing to be safe, they are preparing to become a statistic.

About the Writer
Laila Avery, Reporter

My name is Laila Avery and I’m a sophomore! I enjoy writing for the Pegasus because it gives me the opportunity to share my opinion and encourage other...