If We Had A Wall

If We Had A Wall

The border between the US and Mexico.

The border between the US and Mexico.

Pixabay

The border between the US and Mexico.

Pixabay

Pixabay

The border between the US and Mexico.

Laila Avery, Reporter

Nineteen days of the 2019 government shutdown dreadfully goes on. Congress continues to be at an impasse with President Trump after he requested $25 billion dollars. According to ThoughtCo, “Under the Antideficiency Act of 1982, the federal government must ‘shutdown’ the affected agencies by both furloughing non-essential personnel and curtailing agency activities and services that do not directly relate to national security.” Employees are starting to feel the stress of the lack of payment, having to delve deeper and deeper into their savings accounts each day. Meanwhile, President Trump walks out of border security meetings because his pitch to build a wall was rejected.

Let’s go back to where this catastrophe took root. According to Politico, President Trump stated, “‘When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best,’…Because of that, he promised voters that he will ‘build a great wall’ and ‘will have Mexico pay for that wall.’” He proposed the idea in an attempt to block the so-called “drugs”, “crimes”, and “rapists” that Mexicans allegedly brought with them. Many people, like Bonnie Kristian, looked upon this in a contemptuous manner and began to pick his claim apart. She stated in her article on The Week, “The thing about having a nearly 2,000-mile border, much of it running through uninhabited desert, is there’s a whole lot of space to test ingenious new ways to overcome even the most beautiful of fences.” She goes on to disprove his statements about immigrants, as have many others.

‘When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best,’…Because of that, he promised voters that he will ‘build a great wall’ and ‘will have Mexico pay for that wall.’”

— Politico

Some disagree, however, standing with President Trump. They claim that building a wall will stop crime and lower illegal immigration, making a safer environment for native-born Americans. On the contrary, a large amount of people stand firm in the idea that diversity is a good thing for America, and that other people, especially those seeking asylum, deserve to be in a place that makes them feel as safe as it makes native-born citizens feel.

About the Writer
Laila Avery, Reporter

My name is Laila Avery and I’m a sophomore! I enjoy writing for the Pegasus because it gives me the opportunity to share my opinion and encourage other...

4 Comments

4 Responses to “If We Had A Wall”

1. Veronica Lopez on January 30th, 2019 10:06 am

A totally one sided point of view on the boarder wall. Please have both sides represented. It wastes a readers time when the whole story isn’t told. Attempting to brainwash or indoctrinate students is never the answer. This is pretty much the CNN and MSNBC of High School Newspapers.

1. Pres. Trump is asking for $5.7 Billion for wall. Not sure where $25 Billion came from? The democrats approved much more than that for a border wall when Obama and Bush were president.

2. Border agents agree that a wall is needed to deter the threat they are currently facing. Human trafficking, drugs, gangs, etc.

3. Many Americans want a border wall. Even many that were furloughed agree with the president.

2. editor on February 1st, 2019 9:52 am

Good Morning,

Thank you for your comments. A few comments in response to your comments: The article written has zero points of opinion and rather is an article full of facts. Both sides are represented if you see in the second and last paragraphs. The reporter did not state that she was for one side nor the other. Our reporters strive to keep up with current events and to report factual evidence. The 25 billion is a valid amount. Please see this article written last year. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-whitehouse-idUSKBN1FD2UU. I do not agree that this High School newspaper is swayed one way or another but thank you for your opinion. We will take measures to make sure it is not seen as such in the future.

3. Daniel Chieppa on February 26th, 2019 12:33 pm

Sort of moderate but one side opinion didn’t really get expressed. Donald Trump walked out of the meeting because Democrats refuse to pass a budget. Some Democrats tried to leave the country and some did. I think you missed that bit. They ended up giving him much less than he had asked for but Donald Trump wanted to negotiate.

4. Daniel Chieppa on February 26th, 2019 12:38 pm

Also, edit. he wanted 25 billion in total he wanted 5.7 in the bill. https://www.rollcall.com/news/whitehouse/white-house-details-7-billion-border-funding-boost

• If We Had A Wall

Features

Teacher’s Spotlight: Mr. Eric Suchdolski

• If We Had A Wall

Community

My Experience with Hebeos: A Prom Scamming Nightmare

• If We Had A Wall

Community

Buena Seniors Attend College Orientation

• If We Had A Wall

Features

Is School Too Stressful?

• If We Had A Wall

Announcements

Prom 2019

• If We Had A Wall

Features

What Makes “On My Block” Stand Out?

• If We Had A Wall

Features

Digital Euphoria: The Rise of ASMR

• If We Had A Wall

Features

Fine Arts Students Anticipate Hairspray

• If We Had A Wall

Announcements

Running Start Gives Students The Opportunity to Excel

• If We Had A Wall

Features

The Real Price of College Credit

If We Had A Wall