AGDQ 2019 Kicks Off

AGDQ 2019 Kicks Off

The logo for Games Done Quick. (Credit to GDQ)

Genesis Sandoval, Editor

Speedrunning video games has become a hobby that seemingly popped out of nowhere. Stemming from the 1990s, the speedrunning community of any and all games has only grown. From the popular Speedrunning.com to organizations dedicated to the skill, gaming communities have created a large support system for completing games quickly. They have come together to play once again at Awesome Games Done Quick, a semiannual fundraising marathon where gamers complete video games as fast as possible while trying to raise as much money as they can for a week straight. The event streams 24/7, and those many hours of gaming finally started on Sunday, January 6.

2019’s first Games Done Quick was in Rockville, Maryland where various volunteers created history and new speedrun records. AGDQ features typical speedruns while also adding new challenges to existing games. Some attempt to beat games blindfolded, while others may play multiplayer games by themselves with two controllers. This GDQ is actually the first of its kind to feature mobile games being speedrun as well, instead of only video games from consoles. It’s impossible to watch the entirety of AGDQ live, so here are a couple of speedruns that should be watched later:

1. Mega Man X 1-3 (team relay race): Nine popular speedrunners broke up into teams of three in order to complete three Mega Man games at the same time. The speedrunning community is constantly thinking of new ways to advance the hobby, and this is undeniably an interesting one.
  2. TASBot plays mari0: TASBot has become a staple to GDQ. It is a R.O.B.-esque robot that can play video games with superhuman ability. At this year’s AGDQ, TASBot played mari0, a game similar to Super Mario Bros., but with an added Portal gun mechanic. For a human, the game may take hours to get the hang of, but for TASBot, it made it look insanely easy.
  3. Semblance (all orbs, one-handed): I think this speedrun speaks for itself. For many, platforming games like Semblance are extremely difficult, but it looks like a cakewalk for speedrunner Halfcoordinated, who played the entirety of the game one-handed. And to top it all off, he completed the game in under thirty minutes.
  4. Sanic Ball: Sanic Ball is a silly, fast-paced game that is a fun addition to AGDQ. If you’re looking for a quick laugh, this is the speedrun for you. It lasts just under fifteen minutes and is filled with vague, comical Sonic references that are definitely entertaining.
  5. Super Metroid: At first glance, this speedrun seems average. There’s no gimmicks or robots, but that hasn’t stopped Super Metroid from becoming a GDQ icon. Nearing the end of the game, the player can choose to save a group of animals, or escape quickly and abandon them. The debate of save the animals vs. leaving them is mentioned constantly over the week and is used as a fun way to gain donations, making it a perfect way to end AGDQ.
About the Writer
Genesis Sandoval, Editor

Hi, my name is Genesis. This is my third year for writing for The Pegasus. I’m a senior, and can’t wait to graduate. I listen to music often, and sleep...