Buena Could Be Starting Later

Buena Could Be Starting Later

Pixabay

Pixabay

Pixabay

Laila Avery, Reporter

On January 22, an email was sent out to the parents and staff of Buena High School, containing a survey. This survey detailed a potential delayed school start time: around 8:30 a.m. Provided in the email was research that supported Buena’s new conclusion that, in order for teens to do better in school, they needed more sleep. The email reads, “There are several studies that show that students in middle and high school should not start school before 8:30 AM with the most prominent being The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. This research shows that students need between eight and ten hours of sleep a night. It goes on to provide data on the increased risk to students health which include obesity, diabetes, safety concerns related to driving drowsy, mental health issues including increased anxiety, depression and decreased motivation.”

It goes on to provide data on the increased risk to students health which include obesity, diabetes, safety concerns related to driving drowsy, mental health issues including increased anxiety, depression and decreased motivation.”

— Kristen Hale

Also included in the survey were questions about how students felt on their current schedule, and how parents think a schedule change could positively and negatively impact students. Additional considerations in regard to athletics and clubs have to be observed, as well as how other school-age children are getting to school, as some parents rely on their high school students to transport them.

The rumor is, if the school start time moves to 8:30 am, then the day would end around 4:00 pm. No information has been given on potential bus pick up/drop off times or how that would work with other schools in the district, but hopefully, everything can work out in the students’ favor. If you’re a student, please make sure that your parent of guardian checks their email so that they can support Buena in its efforts to ensure student success.