Lady Colts Take Their Second Dub Against Nogales

Donn'Jai Arenovski, Reporter

On January 25, the Lady Colts traveled into the Nogales territory to play against the Lady Apaches.  Throughout an intense, yet thrilling game, the Buena Lady Colts made a tremendous recovery to finally take their second dub against Nogales, ending the game at 50-45. Lydia Griffith, a player on the Lady Colt basketball team described her game experience, “It’s hard to beat a team twice, but I think we did a good job hanging with them until the end.” Griffith continued on, “We had a lot of players step up when we needed them the most.”

During the first half of the game, the Buena varsity girls were behind, six to ten points, until they finally pulled through during the second half. Griffith also went on to say, “I would say the  hardest thing about that game would be that the players knew what we were going to do…they knew some of our plays and knew not to let me catch the ball, which made it tough for our offensive game.” Though, without a doubt, the girls worked hard to keep their composure, especially after two of Lady Colts were fouled out of the game; Nohema Romo and Jaslyn Booker. Meanwhile, talking to another varsity player, Cayla Anderson characterized her varsity teammates as “well developed,” particularly in the way they know each other’s strengths and weaknesses. “Most of us have been with each other and we know how we each individually play.” Anderson went on to say,  “It was good for everyone to come off of the bench and doing what needed to be done.”

With the Lady Colts now standing with the record 13-2, I’m fairly excited to see how the rest of their season pans out with only three games left! Go support the Lady Colts during their next home game on Tuesday, January 29th. The freshmen play at 4, JV plays at 5:30 and Varsity at 7! I hope to see you guys there!