Developing New Habits

Developing New Habits

tumblrgirl05

tumblrgirl05

tumblrgirl05

Thania Salinas, Reporter

Every individual has dozens of mindless habits: some people may find themselves being proud of them, and others, not so much. Habits can remain consistent through a certain period of a person’s life or it can be decided by the individual how often their habits change. Many find themselves in a position where they want to bring change into their own lives but they have difficulty developing new habits and getting rid of toxic ones.

For starters, developing a new habit can begin as a simple process. Taking the time to focus on one activity for a certain period of time a day, every day, will allow that activity to transition into a habit. This also applies to getting rid of toxic habits, such as procrastinating, not getting the necessary amount of sleep every night, swearing, wasting too much time online, etc. As a new year has arrived, you may find yourself in a position where you want to change the way you live, but you simply have no idea where to start. How exactly can you develop a new habit, and how can you permanently make it stick?

According to the  New York Times bestselling book “Atomic Habits” by James Clear, habits are developed through a process of four steps: cue, craving, response, and reward. The first step is the cue, which signals the brain to begin an action or behavior. Secondly, craving is the motivating factor in order to form a new habit, because, without the desire to lead a better life, you have no reason to act when it comes to habits. Craving leads to the response, which is the actual habit you previously planned to develop. The response varies depending on the person since factors such as motivation and the amount of time applied into the formation of a habit can influence how successful you are. Always remember that you should not push yourself out of your limits in order to carry out a brand new habit, and to stick to activities suitable for your abilities. The response can result in the longest step out of all, but it eventually leads to reward. The reward is different for everyone, as your life is unique and so are the habits you carry out throughout your day. However, the reward will make you feel like your life has improved in a way, and it can be either a temporary or long-term reward. Every step in the process of forming a new habit is essential, and as James Clear puts it, “If a behavior is insufficient in any of the four stages, it will not become a habit.”

We first make our habits, and then our habits make us.”

— John Dryden

About the Writer
Thania Salinas, Reporter

My name is Thania Salinas, I am a Junior, and this is my second year writing for the Pegasus. I joined newspaper because it is an opportunity to express...