The Power of Music

The Power of Music

Thania Salinas, Reporter

Music has evolved into an essential factor of our everyday lives. It is present wherever we go, whether we are at school, restaurants, stores, driving to or from work, or simply relaxing at home after a long day. For many, music has become a form of therapy as it allows them to connect themselves with their own emotions. We don’t often question why we enjoy music the way we do and why some of us can’t live without it, but how much does music really affect us?

Music affects the brain and our mood by engaging with our emotions, memories, learning, and attention. The way our spirits are lifted whenever we hear an upbeat song indicates that music and the brain engage our feelings with our state of mind. Multiple people find themselves listening to slow, gloomy melodies whenever they are having a rough day or they are deeply in touch with their emotions. From a scientific aspect, certain areas in our brain experience increased activity when we listen to music we love. According to a study conducted in 2001 at McGill College, brain scan studies demonstrated that music can sometimes induce goosebumps, which are linked to our emotions of excitement. The study found that the brain structures activated when we listen to a tune we enjoy are the same regions associated with reward, pleasure, and profound emotion.

Music can be utilized in endless ways, one of them being to enforce human interaction and understanding. For instance, two individuals are able to connect through music and understand each other’s taste and emotions based on the type of music they listen to. Music allows groups of people to identify with one another and share a piece of themselves in a way that is enjoyable for both parties.

Music is not only a tool to fulfill our emotional needs and interactions with others, it also aids those who need to be in touch with themselves again. Such people can range from children with autism to elders with Alzheimer’s. Since music allows the brain to recover parts of the memory by reconnecting with past experiences, patients can rely on the power of music to regain a part of themselves. This impact on individuals can also result from music therapy, which assists emotional and behavioral problems, and encourages children to further their learning, whether it is at an early stage of their lives or if they hold a form of learning disability.

Music can evoke the deepest emotions within a person and lead us through the process of dealing with profound feelings such as euphoria, fear, sorrow, anger, resentment, and even emotions such as love! Finding a music genre we can turn in order to express our emotions can be a powerful thing. Whether it is by playing an instrument, making art with our voices, or simply enjoying a melody that makes our hearts warm, music can become a factor of happiness that not only motivates us and places us back on our feet but also inspires us in ways never thought possible.

About the Writer
Thania Salinas, Reporter

My name is Thania Salinas, I am a Junior, and this is my second year writing for the Pegasus. I joined newspaper because it is an opportunity to express...