Students Input on a Possible Schedule Change at Buena

Donn'Jai Arenovski, Reporter

Late this January, Buena High School sent an email with an attached survey to staff, parents and students requesting opinions on whether or not Buena should begin an hour later than normal. Following up Laila Avery’s article, “Buena Could Be Starting Later”, I thought it was fairly important to ask my peers their opinions about this possible new schedule.

Buena Sophomore Hannah Jackson states, “I’d rather start late, because I feel like starting early, our brains aren’t exactly kick started yet.” This statement is actually very accurate, and can be shown in the philosophy behind the idea of a new start time. Within the last ten years, there’ve been multiple studies that prove the amount of sleep a teenager obtains plays a humongous part in their type of grades. Howard Taras and William Potes-Datema from Wiley Online Library.com wrote an abstract that assures this fact with certainty: “Research reveals a high prevalence among school‐aged children of suboptimal amounts of sleep and poor sleep quality. Research demonstrates that sub optimal sleep affects how well students are able to learn and how it may adversely affect school performance.” In other words, more sleep equals better grades!

Typically, you’d think students would be all for the idea of waking up later than usual. Although, out of the many answers I received, there were surprisingly more “no’s” than anything. For example, Buena Senior Makai Washington, reasonably expressed why we should keep the schedule we already have. “If we get home at four o’clock, kids won’t have enough time to do their extracurricular activities, homework or time to hang out with their families.” Currently Buena releases its students at 2:48, but it typically takes until 3:3, or  maybe even longer (if you ride the bus) to completely settle in at home and start your homework, and that’s if you aren’t involved in extracurricular activities or work. “If we were to start getting out at four, it would take so many kids a much longer time to settle in and complete their homework, and that’s if they don’t have a sport to go to.”

There are several ways Buena High School can benefit from changing our start and release times. We will be able to sleep longer, which will allow our brains to process information ten times better during the morning.  Though, there are still many different aspects to look into before our school board can make any decisions.  If you want to help give feedback, go ahead and take the google docs survey below, if you haven’t already. Who knows what could happen next!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfPPAjIoEmofPIwnImvXThxrSYjb1gy2bLYIlekcRUuuZl8cA/viewform