Why Should You Learn a New Language?

Why Should You Learn a New Language?

Thania Salinas, Reporter

If you were to ask anyone around you whether they have dreams of traveling and being able to speak a new language, the vast majority would reply with an instant “yes.” Though learning a new language from scratch can come with several challenges and difficulties, such as learning brand new grammar rules and sentence structure, it also brings benefits you most likely have not even considered!

Investing your time into a new language is not only about completing a foreign language course in high school because it’s a requirement, or memorizing the basics to succeed in a foreign country during vacation. It’s about challenging yourself, becoming proud of your newly-found intelligence and gift of devotion to something new. What most people do not realize is that they have convinced themselves they are ¨not smart enough¨ to learn a new language, or that they simply do not have enough time in their hands to commit to such thing. These negative feelings towards expanding our knowledge can unconsciously overshadow the benefits it can bring to our daily lives. Sure, learning a new language is ¨cool¨ for a majority of reasons, but have you carefully thought of the way it could positively influence you? We often disregard such possibility, for whatever reason that may be, that we also throw away any powerful impact it can create in our lives.

Everyone has their own unique reasons for wanting to learn another language. But while the reasons may be different, they can all be put into action in the same way: by committing to stop making excuses, and to start speaking the language you’ve always wanted to learn.”

— Benny Lewis, founder of Fluent In 3 Months

Studies show that learning a new language can even make you more decisive and better in your native language. Education writer and editor Anne Merritt thoroughly explains how functions of the brain gradually improve simply from learning a new language: ¨Speaking a foreign language improves the functionality of your brain by challenging it to recognise, negotiate meaning, and communicate in different language systems. This skill boosts your ability to negotiate meaning in other problem-solving tasks as well.¨ Psychological studies provide evidence that demonstrates learning a new language gives you the ability to make decisions quicker, develop multitasking skills, improve your perception, and increase your memory levels.

Improving your intelligence is not the only major benefit the process of learning a brand new language is able to bring you. By dedicating at least thirty minutes to an hour each day, learning a new language becomes a pathway to skills that will benefit for the rest of your life. For instance, it can help you become more culturally aware and build relationships and connections you had never imagined having. This will allow you to become closer to people from different backgrounds and cultures than you, gifting you further and deeper knowledge about the world surrounding you.

Being bilingual (or in a different case, multilingual) is a door full of opportunities ready to be seized. From simply learning a new language, more job opportunities could come across your way, you would be able to grow both mentally and personally, become more confident and sure of your own talents and abilities in the future, and an endless loop of benefits waiting for nobody but you. Dedication, motivation, and absolute drive will allow you to learn the skill of mastering a new language. It may be a frightening, new ground, but the payoff is truly like no other. These opportunities are only waiting to knock on your door, but it is up to you to do your part with patience and pure desire to learn and grow in every possible aspect. Are you willing to challenge yourself?

About the Writer
Thania Salinas, Reporter

My name is Thania Salinas, I am a Junior, and this is my second year writing for the Pegasus. I joined newspaper because it is an opportunity to express...