Film Competition to be Held at Uptown Theatre

Faith Henry, Reporter

Beginning on March 1 at four in the afternoon, the first annual Sierra Vista 48-Hour Film Competition will be held at Buena High School, where contestants will pay just $10 for a team with a size of their choosing. Those who choose to compete will be given a mandatory prop, character, and a line of dialog to be used in their videos. Contestants will be judged by an experienced panel of judges when their short films are officially viewed in Uptown Theatre on the last day of the competition, on March 3.

Uptown Theatre has shown previous excitement towards the Film/TV Production’s competitions, but as of late, they have shown an even greater amount of enthusiasm than usual. The last film competition hosted there, the 24-Hour Buena Film Festival, brought in about two hundred people aside from the competitors for about seven dollars per person.  Uptown Theatre has since then been optimistic and has offered to host this competition as well, which is open to anyone currently residing in Sierra Vista—not just Buena High School students. Here, the competition’s short films will be viewed and judged by family members and judges with filmmaking experience. Usually, there is a short icebreaker before the first films, such as Kahoot! or Jeopardy.

The Sierra Vista 48-Hour Film Festival was created almost entirely by Film/TV Production’s SkillsUSA, which is headed by Junior Patricia Garcia, the president of the SkillsUSA organization for Film/TV. Responsible for heading the vast majority of the SkillsUSA meetings, she dutifully expressed her excitement for it during every meeting and ensured everything was accounted for, along with the help of Mr. Timothy Ingold, the Film/TV Production teacher.

When asked about the competition, Mr. Timothy Ingold said, “Yes, I’m very excited for this competition. It is an opportunity for students to create videos within a limited time… and it is nice to see how proud they are after completing their videos in such short times.” His excitement was mutual between the SkillsUSA members, who have already created their teams: some consist of a crew of about five members, and others with crews of thirteen.

“I want at least six teams to join [the competition],” said Patricia Garcia. “That’s our goal.”

The Film/TV Production SkillsUSA eagerly invites you and anyone else interested in the competition to join. They hope to see you there!