Potential New Start Time

Deyjah Dukes, Reporter

The school district and the principal Hale are looking into a new start time here at Buena High School. They are considering this as it has come to the public’s attention that, everyday, more and more kids are falling asleep or not paying attention in their classrooms, due to lack of sufficient sleep. Mainly this becomes apparent in the first classes of the day.  

That situation has turned into a huge problem, and huge problems need big solutions. That is where the new start time suggestion came in. The purpose of it is to help the students get more sleep because more sleep means it’s easier to learn. The principal and the district are not the only ones who think this. Mrs. Rachael Rawlings says, “I think it would give them a better chance to interact and learn more when they’re wide awake and not half asleep.”

When interviewing students to ask them how they felt about the new start time, there were very different opinions about the solution. When asking why they wanted a new start time, Rose King was all for it, but Isabella Jameka’s feelings were a little different. Isabella says, “It will actually make my life harder because I am a morning person. When I get up, I am ready to focus and do what I need to do. In the afternoon, I am more on the sleepy side, and don’t want to pay attention as much.” Rose King says, “It would make my life so much easier because, after school, I have a lot of things to do, and there are only so many hours left in the day after school to do  everything I need to do, including homework, and trying to get the eight hours required of sleep. It’s just not enough time to do it all, so I am all for the new start time.”
The new start time here at Buena can either help students pay attention and interact more, or can affect them in ways we cannot state currently. Either way, this is what the district and principal have considered.  While this is still a consideration, the thought does linger as to if it will become a new normal for students. Get ready!