My Childhood Fear of Mr. Meaty

My Childhood Fear of Mr. Meaty

Genesis Sandoval, Editor

Cartoons are a staple to growing up. Your favorites stick with you as you get older and leave a fond memory behind. However, another thing that you never forget is your childhood fears. And when your childhood fears are combined with cartoons, it can create a sense of horror that never goes away.

That was my relationship with Mr. Meaty.

Mr. Meaty was a TV show with puppet characters that lasted from 2005 to 2009 on Nickelodeon. Its presence was controversial to say the least, and as a result, has garnered a cult following today. The premise of the show was two teenagers named Josh and Parker who work at a fast food restaurant named Mr. Meaty. The show sounds basic enough, but their adventures were anything but family friendly. Episodes followed the characters accidentally deep frying their hands and eating them, eating a tapeworm from a piece of raw meat, and plenty of toilet humor. The show was ugly and uncomfortable, and I was subject to it often as a kid due to my sister’s love for the show. I hated every second of it, and can vividly remember how upset the show made me. I absolutely hated this show.

Turns out, I wasn’t the only one who had these feelings. IMDb reviewers describe the show as “appalling,” “the stuff nightmares are made of,” and “unoriginal and crude.” The combination of ugly puppets and uncomfortable humor spawned petitions from parents to get the show canceled. They eventually got what they wanted. Despite lasting for 4 years, the show only had 20 episodes. Due to poor ratings and loss of viewership, the series finale was aired in May 2009. However, this wasn’t without outcry from the show’s loyal fans.

Mr. Meaty was an odd show in the sense that you either loved it or hated it. There really was no in between. The show still has fans today, explaining how the show was gross, but it was real. During some episodes, Josh and Parker dealt with the struggles of dating, body issues, and just what it’s like to grow from kid to teenager. Unfortunately, these important topics were overshadowed by the outright grossness of the show. Today, many fans praise the show for its representation of these topics. I never noticed the struggles the characters faced as a kid, but I can support the show for trying to showcase what many viewers were going through. Even in today’s shows for near-teenagers, it can be hard to find realism within them. Disney Channel’s Andi Mack is the only one that comes to mind of a show that provides insight into the real world. The show features young teenagers dealing with anxiety, panic attacks, and has the first Disney character to ever say the words, “I’m gay.” I hope more shows today can be real and relatable for its viewers, like Andi Mack or even Mr. Meaty.

Just maybe with fewer toilet jokes.

About the Writer
Genesis Sandoval, Editor

Hi, my name is Genesis. This is my third year writing for The Pegasus. I’m a senior, and can’t wait to graduate. I listen to music often, and sleep...