SV 48-Hour Film Competition—A Hit!

SV 48-Hour Film Competition—A Hit!

Faith Henry, Reporter

This past Sunday,  at the Uptown 3 Theatre, dozens of Sierra Vista citizens paid just $5 to surge into the large theatres for the viewing and award ceremonies of the first annual Sierra Vista 48-Hour Film Competition. The competition was available to all citizens of any age group to join, where, at the Buena High School, they were given a prompt, line of dialog, and character name to fit into their short films. With only forty-eight hours to complete the films—lest they take on a rigid time penalty—the teams were forced to use their creativity under a solid time crunch, creating an atmosphere of thrill and risk at the chance of winning a substantial cash prize.

As people were filtering into the theatre to watch the videos made by their peers, children, and neighbors, the MC of the night, Kate Cox from Cochise County Tourism, announced the official requirements of the competition, which were necessary to use within all of the competitors’ videos. These requirements included the prop of glass cleaner, the character name “Tracey Martin,” and the line of dialog, “Is there something you want to tell me, son?” The combination of the three prerequisites ensured no one attempted to use a video previously made, and it additionally fortified the need for creativity. The question everyone was thinking was, “How do we take three different ideas and stitch them into a single storyline?”

Ultimately, there were three brave teams who eventually cracked the code with their winning short films. In third place came the Cinema Compadres, also known as Team F, an incredibly large group consisting of both Buena High School students and other citizens of Sierra Vista, their film was a humorous take on childhood adventures and was titled “Bullying,” a story of two young boys being terrorized by the playground mean girl named Tracy Martin. When Junior Patricia Garcia was asked about the most disastrous part of their filmmaking process, she said, “We kept saying, ‘It’s forty-eight hours. We got time.’ We didn’t have time.” However, they pulled through with a solid win and a stunning plaque to match their victory.

Nevertheless, there was still one team that conquered above all using their humor and enthusiasm for film. This winning duo was Team B, also known as Valazquez and Whitney Media, with their hilarious video about being locked in a car and having to keep themselves busy while waiting for someone to let them out—which doesn’t happen during the course of the short film.  They had the audience cackling with the raw humor and relatable characters. When asked what they would change about the final video, senior Christopher Whitney, said, “I think with the final product, there would be nothing I’d want to change, but when making it, we had a whole bunch of scenes that were left out.” The first place winners won both a plaque for first place and the cash prize of one hundred dollars, and they additionally won an award for “Best Editing.”

Congratulations to all of the winners and competitors of the Sierra Vista 48-Hour Film Festival, and a special thank you to the Buena Film/TV and SkillsUSA for creating the fantastic competition!