Arizona Takes ESU Competition by Storm

Arizona Takes ESU Competition by Storm

The Students of Buena Fine Arts congratulate Alec Errhalt on his victory at the ESU National Shakespeare Competition!

Thania Salinas, Reporter

The 2018-2019 English-Speaking Union National Shakespeare Competition is a school-based program in which students from grades 9-12 are allowed to read, analyze, perform and recite Shakespearean monologues and works of literature. The competition comes in three qualifying stages: at the school, community and national levels. More than 300,000 students have been immensely benefited from this competition since its creation in 1983, with over 2,500 teachers and 20,000 students competing annually.

From the Tucson branch of ESU, Buena High School Senior Alec Errhalt resulted victorious after competing on Saturday, March 2. As a result of being a winner of ESU, Alec will find himself in New York City in April to represent Arizona at a national level with an all-expense paid trip. 7 to 10 finalists will be selected by a professional panel of judges as they perform their sections. There is a variety of rewards for the winners of the national-level competitions, such as receiving a full scholarship to attend a distinguished and enriching Shakespeare program during the summer or a theater camp in Virginia.

According to the English-Speaking Union, the National Shakespeare Competition is beneficial for students, even if they do not become winners. Their website thoroughly explains, ¨Through the Competition, students develop communication skills and an appreciation of the power of language and literature.” Students will be able to develop essential skills, such as close reading, public speaking, critical thinking and analysis, etc. To the ones who hold classic literature dear to their hearts, attending an ESU National competition may seem like a fit for you. Buena High School encourages the enrichment of the education of students, and it could not be more proud of its winners!

About the Writer
Thania Salinas, Reporter

My name is Thania Salinas, I am a Junior, and this is my second year writing for the Pegasus. I joined newspaper because it is an opportunity to express...