Lent 2019: What are students giving up?

Lent 2019: What are students giving up?

Genesis Sandoval, Editor

Lent is an important tradition for many Christians around the world, including here at Buena. It’s a six week period for people to prepare for Easter, or when Jesus resurrected from the dead. But what do they do during Lent? And what does it mean to students here at Buena?

Lent begins on Ash Wednesday, which was Mar. 6 this year. It is meant to commemorate Jesus fasting in the desert for 40 days. Many practicing Catholics attend mass where ashes are placed on their forehead in the shape of a cross on this day. Ash Wednesday also marks the beginning of abstaining from a specific luxury, or in some cases, starting a good habit until Easter. This is an important part of the tradition, and many students at Buena partake in it. Another custom of Lent is abstaining from eating meat on Fridays. I decided to ask students at Buena about their experience with Lent, and what they were giving up until Easter.

Freshman Sam Aguilar celebrates Lent for slightly longer than other forms of Catholicism, but participates nonetheless. Sam says, “I’m an Anglican Catholic so Lent is a couple of days longer for us, but it’s still basically the same thing… I gave up candy for Lent.” Sam also feels a connection to Lent and the traditions within it. She says, “My mom raised me with a Catholic mindset. I feel that doing Lent together brings us together.”

Sophomore Alissa Schmidt is a Buena student who chose to do something more instead of abstaining from something. She explains, “I’m not actually giving anything up. Instead, I’m trying to exercise more. Hopefully, it’s something I continue after Lent is over as well.”

A student who asked not to be named has participated in Lent their whole life. They explain, “Lent is really important to me. It’s something that I kind of grew up with. I didn’t really give stuff up when I was a kid, but now it feels like a tradition.” When asked about what they were doing for Lent, they answered, “This year I’m trying to pray a lot more, especially the Rosary… That’s a longer prayer, but I’m trying to do it every day.”

Lent is an important tradition for many students at Buena, and a great way for students to feel connected during the next six weeks.