My Experience with Hebeos: A Prom Scamming Nightmare

As you may know, each year around this time, one of the most exciting events of the season is finally happening: Prom! This is the time where juniors and seniors typically stress themselves out trying to find their perfect ‘it’ dresses for their magical night, including me.

For first-timers, like myself, looking for the dress of your dreams can be one of the most difficult decisions to make throughout the entire prom process. Most certainly, if you don’t know where to look.  Let me start by saying this: Prom isn’t cheap and going on to the first, half priced website that pops up onto your screen probably isn’t the best idea. Especially if you don’t bother to do any research on the website you’re considering. However, doing research may not even save you from one of these nightmarish moments.

Unfortunately, the website “Hebeos” was my poison and I fell into its trap, blindly and fairly easy too. Their website displays hundreds of breathtaking gowns, and with, not to mention,  outstanding prices as well! With a collection ranging from wedding gowns to party dresses, everything is to die for. What-a-deal right? If I only would’ve known, it was too good to be legit.

Upon finding my ideal prom dress,  I wasted no time and immediately ordered my gown without hesitation. A few weeks later, my dress finally came in the mail and to my surprise, came utter disappoint and regret. After trying the dress on, I was completely speechless and saddened by how much this company had let me down. I looked like I was going to a Halloween party, even worse, I looked like a cheap oriental lantern. The material was stiff like a cardboard box, the sleeves were immensely short and the hem of the dress was visibly uneven.

Lea Griffin, owner of formal wear store Mane Beauty Boutique, expressed people fall victim to these scamming websites each year. Often times websites like Hebeos don’t follow their own return policy and will refuse to refund the money paid for the dress. Griffin explains,“These things happen to girls every year,” she adds, “That’s probably the reason we do dress consignments, so the girls can have more affordable options because they spent most of their money online and can’t afford to [immediately] go out and buy another dress.”

Mrs. Lea Griffin (my prom story hero) has been in the beauty business for five years now. She started off mainly working with beauty supplies and eventually advanced to formal wear in her later years. Ms. Griffin acknowledged her passion for helping clients make important decisions when expressing her favorite part about doing her job. “I feel like I can help people; we deal with so many different types of things in this store…we go from very emotional moments to big, special occasions.” After my dress malfunction, Ms. Griffin helped me pick out my new prom dress (which looks wayyy better than before) and practically saved my entire prom experience. “Just be mindful when you’re shopping,” Griffin questioned, “Is this someplace that only pops up during prom season or are they always on? Are these pictures taken from someone on Instagram or are these real dresses?”  Ms. Griffin is conscientious, and compassionate about her work and loves to put smiles on her clients faces. I truly enjoyed getting to know Ms. Griffin and I am thankful for her willingness to help in a time of need! I will forever be grateful!