AP Testing: How Do Students Feel?

AP Testing: How Do Students Feel?

Information regarding AP exams can be found on the CollegeBoard website!

Thania Salinas, Reporter

The preparations for the end of the school year have commenced, and although summer is near and students wait in anticipation, challenges lay ahead for a majority of juniors and seniors. Throughout the duration of the 2018-2019 school year, students enrolled in Advanced Placement classes have prepared themselves for one thing: AP testing.

Although taking the AP test for certain classes is not necessarily required, teachers encourage students to utilize a variety of skills, which have been practiced all year long, in one final exam. A majority of students are only enrolled in one or two Advanced Placement classes, but some take up to three to four. However, it is their own choice to take multiple AP Tests during a two-week period.

During the month of April, AP mock exams have taken place in order to allow students to familiarize themselves with the real exam and learn what it is like to be under timed pressure. Although the score students receive on their AP tests do not directly affect their grade in the class, they either find themselves utterly confident in their abilities or absolutely terrified.

Junior Lindsay Gabriel, who has been a “straight As” student for most of her school career, explains, “Obviously I’m a bit nervous since I’m aware every question on the exam is difficult, but I try to tell myself that everything will turn out fine and my worries won’t affect my score.” Gabriel further explains that she relies on finding her strengths in situations like these. “One of the things I’m not so worried about is the time limit on the passages and such since I’m a fast reader– I just need to put all of my skills into use to succeed.”

However, not all students hold the level of confidence others seem to have. A student who wished to remain anonymous explained: “A big set back for me when it comes to exams of this importance is the fact that others seem to be smarter than me.” Although the way these students put their skills into use will essentially determine their success in AP testing, confidence ultimately plays a crucial role as well. “I try not to let my lack of confidence affect my performance in school, plus, that only motivates me to better myself in every possible aspect.”

Whether students are taking one or more than three exams as AP testing season approaches, their efforts will surely pay off as they demonstrate their abilities as efficient test-takers. Good luck to all Buena High School students planning to challenge the AP exams this year!

About the Writer
Thania Salinas, Reporter

My name is Thania Salinas, I am a Junior, and this is my second year writing for the Pegasus. I joined newspaper because it is an opportunity to express...