Getting Back to Bed

Getting Back to Bed

Pixabay

Pixabay

Pixabay

Laila Avery, Reporter

Following up on my previous two articles, “Opinion: School Hours” and “Buena Could Be Starting Later”, I’d like to take a step back from the administrative role in ensuring the students at Buena get enough sleep, and start focusing on the individual role, because in the end, our lives are what we make it. The biggest hindrances I’ve observed in the sleep-deprived and weary are procrastination and misjudgment. These two things, especially hand-in-hand, can wreak havoc on a person’s sleep.

According to the Sleep Foundation, “Our bodies all require long periods of sleep in order to restore and rejuvenate, to grow muscle, repair tissue, and synthesize hormones.” It’s vital, even to the point that, if you go for long enough without it, your body will shut down for you. The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke claims that “sleep plays a housekeeping role that removes toxins in your brain that build up while you are awake.” Simply put, it’s one of the most important things that an individual can do in their day, and it’s worth prioritizing.

Because of this, it’s up to you to make the necessary arrangements in order to be prepared for your peaceful slumber. This means taking care of your affairs in advance so that you have time to relax, but it also means knowing when to put your affairs down, along with the plaguing thoughts of how busy you are as you lay down to rest. Sleep is essential to functioning properly and effectively executing the tasks placed before you. Do your part to feel refreshed.