Prom 2019 Trends

Prom 2019 Trends

Seniors Jules Howes and Devanee Dedecker pose together at prom.

Genesis Sandoval, Editor

As prom season comes to a close, 2019’s prom trends can easily be seen. From simple colors all the way to specific dress styles, 2019 had a variety of trends not only at Buena, but across the country. There are plenty of trends that we can see from 2019, but here are some of the top trends from prom:

• Burgundy dresses: Prom undoubtedly brings a rainbow of matching couples on the dance floor. From black to bright pink, there’s a variety of colors you’ll see throughout the night. But with dozens of dresses and suits, you’re bound to see some repeated colors. This year’s prom brought some definite favorites like pastel pink, black, and emerald green. But the one color that you definitely saw at prom was burgundy. Burgundy has been in style for the past year, and it doesn’t look like it’s ready to go away anytime soon.
  • Tulle maxi dresses: While there are a variety of dress options out there, one style stood out from the rest: low cut, tulle maxi dresses. While looking for my prom dress, I saw this style constantly. Coming in a variety of colors and sizes across a multitude of stores, the dress suits people of all shapes and sizes.
  • Two-piece sets: Besides tulle dresses, the top searched prom dress style was two piece sets since 2017. Like the burgundy trend, two-piece dresses have been common for a while now with no chance of stopping. Another trend combined with two-piece sets was floral skirts. These dresses came in similar colors while still having their own unique twists. Floral, two-piece dresses were all over prom as plenty of people had a great night.
  • Sequins: Sparkling sequins were all over formal dress shops as prom came and went. This trend somewhat went hand in hand with burgundy, as the majority of these dresses at prom were both sequined and burgundy. Many weren’t afraid of being over the top with dresses that had sequins all over. Sequined dresses were a great trend that looked amazing when the light hit them just right.
  • Being yourself: This sounds cheesy, but there was a lot of people who weren’t afraid to be themselves at prom! It’s a great feeling to just be who you are. From breaking gender expression strategies to simply dancing when you’re not the best at it, lots of Buena’s students were living their best lives at prom. It’s incredibly important to be yourself, and hopefully, we do more of it after this year’s prom.