The ASVAB

The ASVAB

Donn'jai Arenovski, Editor

The ASVAB is an aptitude test that will be given on October 9, 2019 for Buena juniors and seniors. ASVAB stands for Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery. This is a career exploration program for students who are looking forward to enlisting in the military or for students who simply want to know where they stand in their future careers, strength wise. 

Students who chose to take the test will be tested in four different categories that include; Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension and Mathematical Knowledge. Student scores on each individual concept will ultimately sum up into their AFQT score, in which will determine whether or not they are qualified to join the U.S military. 

Many students avoid taking the ASVAB because they believe it is only suitable for students who are interested in joining the military. However, this isn’t the case, according to 11th grade counselor David Harris because, “It is useful for anyone to take because it is an aptitude test and it can be applied to any career field you are looking to go into,” he said. 

Harris explained this test is a great opportunity to prepare students for their future. 

“The ASVAB test can suggest things that you probably have not thought about before,” Harris explained.

The ASVAB is an opportunity that juniors and seniors are encouraged to take. Not only is it free, but it’s a comprehensive test that contributes to your future in a number of ways. 

Harris added the ASVAB will be taken in the PAC this year to emphasize the amount of room there will be to “accommodate” as many Buena juniors and seniors as possible to take advantage of the opportunity.