Australian Wildfire is Affecting Wildlife and People

A firefighter in Australia hoses down trees to protect nearby homes from bush fires near the town of Nowra in the state of New South Wales on December 31, 2019 as the fires led to the evacuation of popular tourist areas in the state. (Saeed Kahn/AFP) Via https://www.timesofisrael.com/heavy-rains-contain-last-of-australias-wildfires/

Austin Novak, Reporter

Over the last 7 months of the Australian fire season, the country has been devastated by wildfire all over the continent. It’s caused by the lack of rainfall being present across the whole continent and also the summer extreme heat some as high as 120 degrees Fahrenheit. The country of Australia has been in a drought for the last 3 years from 2017 to now; due to the lack of rainfall to the continent.

The hardest-hit regions of the wildfires in the province of New South Wales where over 8.9 million acres of land have been burnt across the province, nationwide the death tolls are over 24 people dead, 2000 homes destroyed and more than 12.35 million acres burnt.  

The worst part about the fire is that the fire has spread to Kangaroo Island in New South Wales, which so far has killed over 25,000 Koalas. The reason why that many Koalas died is that the Island is a wildlife preservation land in Australia. The rest of Australian wildlife has suffered greatly.  

It is not just the wildlife that is affected by the fires, but the air quality has as well. The air rating has been degraded in the nation’s capital Canberra. Air quality is now 340 on the Air Quality Index which is much higher than the Beijing air quality, which is known for its poor air quality. This all caused by the nationwide fires that have burnt massive amounts of land in Australia.

Buena students have different opinions about the fires, Sophomore Lucas Fuller said, “Since the fire happens pretty often in Australia; we can only try our best to stop the fires.” 

Sophomore Barker Nelson said, “That’s really sad how a fire could kill so many animals in Australia it is our best interest to prevent it.” 

Sophomore Fox Oberle also is affected by the large loss of animal life. Oberle said, “I feel bad for the animals dying because of the fires, I feel that they deserve better.”  

Freshmen Allan Anohada said, “I feel bad that the animals had lost their homes because many trees had burned down.” While Freshmen Esteban Figueroa felt “that we should be more prepared to deal with wildfires. Also, I feel that the animals could live if we were better at stopping fires.” 

Junior Rene Wever said, “I feel bad for the animals that were there and hope the will change the government’s idea on stopping wildfires.”

Overall the wildfires in Australia had killed over 1 billion native Australian animals and killed over 27 people. Over 2,000 homes were destroyed and the scorched landmass is over the size of the U.S state of Indiana. 

Also, three American were killed when their plane crashed while they were dropping water over the fire.  This fire season is the most damaging and the most costly that the continent of Australia has ever faced.